Screenshot 2019-09-01 at 3.56.43 PM.png

Frequently Asked Questions

The Answers You Need


Should I work with a consultant or a lawyer?

Applicants should know something about the visa process to protect themselves from individuals representing themselves as immigration professionals when they are really not.

Unfortunately, there is a great deal of corruption in the immigration business. By having a basic understanding about immigration, applicants can arm themselves against being victims of fraud.

There are essentially two types of immigration representatives offering their services to clients: Lawyers and Consultants

Consultants are immigration representatives who are not lawyers. They are often referred to immigration specialists and can be an excellent conduit and guiding hand to find the best immigration lawyer and/or projects to invest in. Immigration consultants are now regulated by the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Counsel (ICCRC).The ICCRC is responsible for regulating the activities of immigration consultants who are members and who provide immigration advice for a fee.

The ICCRC grants memberships to only those individuals who have demonstrated their knowledge and ability to advise, consult and represent people who wish to seek Canadian immigration, have passed the Society’s Knowledge and Ethics Test and have demonstrated their good character.

Lawyers often act as representatives for applicants with immigration matters. Unlike consultants, lawyers in Canada are required to have a university education and to complete law school. Lawyers are regulated by the Provincial or State Bar in the jurisdiction in which they practice.

The fact that lawyers are regulated provides their clients with protection against unethical and incompetent practitioners.

Immigration Lawyers are lawyers who practice primarily or exclusively in immigration law. They generally have a greater level of expertise than a general practitioner who may merely dabble in the field. 

True North Citizens works with licensed US and Canadian Immigration Lawyers and licensed Canadian senior and very experienced immigration consultants.

What documents do I need?

Many people mistakenly believe that all that is involved in applying for immigration is completing some forms and paying a fee. Nothing can be further from the truth. Completing your immigration forms accurately and honestly is essential of course but what really may make the difference between a successful application and one that is refused, are the documents that you include in your application that are in support of your case.

Not only do your documents serve to substantiate the information that you have filled in on your application, but they also tell the visa officer reviewing the case, your story. The documents show the visa officer that not only do you qualify for a visa but that there is a real live person behind the application who really needs a visa.

Proper presentation of your documents is also important. The more organized your documents, the less risk there is of frustrating the visa officer by making it difficult for him or her to find the relevant information. Your goal as an applicant (or your consultant or lawyer’s goal) should be to make the visa officer’s job as easy as possible. Nothing is worse than presenting a disorganized application that annoys a visa officer.

What documents are you required to include with your application? The answer depends on the nature of application that you are submitting.

In most cases, the applications contain instructions on which documents are required for a particular application.

Generally, you are asked to include documents proving your identity such as birth certificates or national identity cards. If you are married, you should also include your marriage certificate.

Do you have to submit original documentation? In most cases, photocopies of documents are acceptable but be prepared to submit original employment references and police clearance certificates. Each application has specific requirements for documents. It is important to carefully check what is required.

Documents tell your story. Make sure to include all relevant documents in support of your immigration case.

What is the AIPP Program in Canada?

The Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program (AIPP) was developed by the Canadian government to address labour shortages in Canada’s four Atlantic provinces: Newfoundland & Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island. These provinces have been experiencing difficulty attracting young skilled workers, and the pilot seeks to address these shortages.

The AIPP is also able to offer candidates a faster route to Canadian permanent residence than most provincial programs. Unlike many streams that rely on job offers, the AIPP is LMIA-exempt, meaning employers do not need to complete a Labour Market Impact Assessment before they hire an overseas worker. This saves employers time, money, and resources in hiring a skilled worker outside of Canada.

How can I apply under the AIPP?

The AIPP is an employer-driven program. This means that hopeful immigrants can only apply to the program after they have received a job offer from one of the program’s designated employers.

With a job offer, candidates are able to begin the endorsement phase of the process, in which they work with their employer and the provincial immigration authority to arrange the settlement services they will receive upon arrival in Canada.

Finally, with approval from the province, the candidate receives a work permit allowing them to start working while they submit an application to become a Canadian permanent resident.

How long does it take to get my work permit?

Once you have successfully been offered a job by a designated company, you will begin your immigration application i.e. your application to the Government of Canada for a work permit.

Does the work permit automatically give me Permanent Residency?

No! A work permit allows you to work only in the job you have been offered. Your employer will have to have your position endorsed by the Province in order for you to apply for permanent residency.

Are there other similar programs?

The promise of more success through the AIP has motivated the creation of a recently released new pilot, the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot.

This program was announced January 24th 2019, and has been modelled after the AIP. Targeting Canada’s rural and northern areas, the pilot is directed by individual communities that want to bring in and retain newcomers.

Excluding Canada’s Atlantic coast, this program plans to attract newcomers to rural communities in Northern Canada, and from Ontario westward.

Is it cold all year around?

No! Canada has beautiful summers but yes it's true that the winters are cold. The secret to enjoying Canadian winters is to have the clothing to deal with it and make the most of winter activities. Canadian communities and cities are well set-up for the snowy winter months and we will assist you in preparing to settle.

The spring and fall in Canada are especially beautiful so don't let the snowy winters put you off! 


Start your immigration plans today

Ready to begin?
Discover your North American immigration options with True North Citizens. Send us your details and we can give you call back to discuss in more detail. 

First Street, Toronto